Friday, 20 December 2013

Breakfast Time

I am not much of a "breakfast person".  Even as a teenager, I remember having very little interest in regular breakfast food - often opting for a small bowl of leftover spaghetti.

I don't wake up often with that feeling of "I have to eat NOW!".  I get up, make my daughter's breakfast, make her snack and lunch for school, have a quick shower, get dressed, and then out to door we go for our morning walk to school (thought I will often snack on a few bites of fruit as I cut some up for her lunch).  When I come home a half hour later, I stare into the opened fridge...then walk over to the pantry...then back to the fridge.  Nothing interests me, but I always have SOMETHING as I know it's important.

My husband on the other hand NEEDS food in the morning...and lunch...and dinner.  His body is like an alarm clock and if he doesn't stay on schedule, he becomes what I lovingly call "peckish".  The shakes begin, then comes the irritability...it's not pretty.   He also makes a point of SHOWING me his hands as they visibly tremble.  "See?", he says while turning pale right before my eyes...all with the look of desperation on his face.

His routine consists of the same breakfast everyday.  Even on the weekend he'd prefer his "routine breakfast" over scrambled eggs or pancakes.  So I recently decided that maybe that kind of routine would be good for me.  It would ensure that each morning I get something really wholesome in me.  I eat a healthy diet throughout the day, but was lacking nutrition at breakfast time.  My husband has oatmeal, but I've tried his oatmeal and find it just a tad too bland for my liking...it needed a bit of punch.  And my "punch" came in the form of organic frozen blueberries.  And now, my oatmeal is incredible. I LOVE it.  It's my kind of breakfast food.  My husband also adds flax to his oatmeal, whereas I've chosen to add hemp hearts.

In my Oatmeal:

1/3 cup of Organic quick oats (with boiled water - follow directions given)
1-2 tsp of Organic Coconut Oil
Snack size Organic Unsweetened Applesauce
1 tsp Organic Chia Seeds
1 tsp Organic Hemp Hearts
A sprinkle of Organic Cinnamon
1/3 cup of frozen blueberries (which I take out prior so they are defrosted by the time they go on my oatmeal

Once my oats and boiled water have sat for five minutes, I add my coconut oil and it will begin to melt.  I mix it in well and add the rest of my ingredients, et voila!  It is DELICIOUS and filling.  No added sugar is needed as the unsweetened applesauce and blueberries add enough sweetness to the oats.

***When using coconut oil for the first time, you might experience "the burn" which refers to the rise in your metabolism.  It can create a bit of an anxious feeling for some people.  My husband experienced this for quite awhile, but he didn't let it bother him.  I haven't had too many issues with it but he adds 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, whereas I'm starting with much less so my body can warm up to it.

Remember all of these ingredients contain FIBRE.  Make sure to get plenty of water in you.  I have upped my water intake, plus I tend to drink 1-2 cups of green tea day which I find helps as well.

I highly recommend this breakfast.  It keeps you full till lunch and really is delicious.  I actually get excited to eat it now...and I figure if I get a bit tired of it over time I can just switch to different berries.

 My oats with cinnamon
 Now comes the coconut oil, chia seeds, applesauce and hemp hearts
 Almost there...

 Now come the blueberries
Stir, and ready to consume!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment