Friday, 25 May 2012

Yum.

For MANY months, I lost my appetite.  While I was tapering off of Clonazepam/Diazepam, I rarely craved food.  And now 10 months med free, I still struggle to "feel" hunger.  Every now and then I will feel the deep gurgles and gnawing burn of a hungry tummy...but most days I don't feel it and have to remind myself "oh, it's dinner time!".  However, after months of food having little taste and/or interest, I can now TASTE my food.  So I am always looking for meals that bring lots of flavour.  Here is a new favourite of mine and great for lunch!

Cucumber, cut into bite-sized pieces
Cherry tomatoes, sliced in 1/2
Chickpeas, cooked (idea adapted from the ohsheglows.com blog...by far my favourite blog)

I slice the veggies and put them aside.  In a frying pain, I add 1T of olive oil.  Once hot, I add 1 can of washed and drained chickpeas (PC Blue Line's chickpeas has the least amount of Sodium).  I cook the chickpeas for approximately 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  I then add salt and pepper to taste as well as 2 heaping tablespoons of Nutritional Yeast (this can be found in your health food section of your local grocery store).  Stir well and then let it "fry" for several minutes (5-10) till browned.  This makes the chickpeas a bit crunchy...but SO good.

Let them cool or add them right away to the cucumber and tomato mix.

Dressing:

1/4 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
1/4 cup olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon (or 2-3T of Concentrated Lemon Juice)
2 T Dijon Mustard
1 T Maple Syrup
1/4 cup water (this thins it out as tahini is quite thick)
salt/pepper to taste
Crushed Garlic - optional

Toss the veggies with the dressing (I make extra dressing and store it in the fridge for up to 3 days...I put it on every thing I eat).  Enjoy!  Keep in mind you can put your own stamp on this.  Throw in some walnuts, sunflower seeds or slivered almonds.  Or how about some dried cranberries or raisins?  Switch the Dijon mustard for curry and cumin for an entirely different taste.  Have fun with it!





 Nothing beats food that is colourful, healthy and tasty...enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment