Monday, 13 February 2012

Clean Out The Fridge Night

"What do you want for dinner tonight?"

A question often asked in any family.  It was Saturday afternoon and we were heading back to town after spending the afternoon at Chapters with our daughter.  We enjoyed a "Calm" tea from Starbucks while our daughter enjoyed a piece of Chocolate Chip Banana Bread and some books.  We were approaching the grocery store and I figured we should get any "extras" we may need for the following few days.  My husband was thinking of just heating up a bowl of canned soup with a sandwich, or maybe a frozen pizza...but I was in "the mood" to cook a healthy meal and said, "how about a stir fry?".

So stir fry it was!  I knew I had some peppers and mushrooms in the fridge, but I couldn't decide what to do for the "meat".  We are not vegetarian, but have chosen to buy a lot less meat.  a) it's expensive, and b) too many documentaries (Food Inc.) have turned us off of meat.  Plus, I don't ever crave it.  We talked about just "caving" and buying some chicken breasts.  Then we looked at the tofu...but I have read a lot more into tofu and the importance of buying it when it clearly states "NO GMO's" (Genetically Modified Organisms).  Well, the tofu packages I was looking at didn't state that...so back to square one.  Then it hit me...eggs!  I told my husband my idea and he was interested, so eggs it was.  Then while in the check-out line, I thought "nuts...hmmmm".  So I ran back to the bulk food section and picked up some unsalted sunflower seeds...and this is what I came up with:

4 bell peppers
1 red onion
2 packages sliced cremini mushrooms
5 eggs
1/3 cup (give or take) sunflower seeds
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 bag of whole wheat egg noodles

Sauce:

2-3 heaping T peanut butter (with no sugar or salt added)
1 heaping T honey
1-2 T lemon juice
1 t red chili sauce
approx. 1/4 cup soy sauce (I use Braggs Liquid Amino instead)
Clubhouse Pepper Medley (a good shake)

I cooked the chopped red onion with olive oil till it browned a bit.  Once brown, I added my crushed garlic and cooked for a few minutes. Then added my peppers and mushrooms.  At this point I began boiling the water for the noodles.  I now added the soy sauce, peanut butter, honey, lemon juice and chili sauce.  In a separate pan, I added the whisked eggs and scrambled them till they were fully cooked - almost over cooked as I didn't want them to fall apart in the sauce.  I then added the cooked eggs and sunflower seeds to the mixed veggies and sauce, and then sprinkled the Pepper Medley on top.  I let it simmer for only a few minutes as I don't like the veggies to get too soft.  Serve over the cooked whole wheat egg noodles...and my husband said it was the best stir fry he had ever had.

Keep in mind the amount I made does us for 2 - maybe even 3 - dinners.  So you can choose the amount of veggies that suits your families needs...or choose different veggies!  The idea was to come up with a meal using what was already in my fridge.  In the past, I bought store-bought sauces for our stir fry, but this was FAR better and not loaded with possible MSG. It was healthy and REALLY delicious! 




No comments:

Post a Comment