Tuesday, 21 February 2012

Butter Chicken...with Eggs? Sure!

Recently we went to our neighbour's for dinner and the hostess with the mostess made a delicious Butter Chicken.  Unfortunately I was unable to partake in the dinner as I was home curled up with horrible nausea...but was later able to go over to visit and "smell" the food.  As frustrating as it is, it's great to have good friends who understand the situation I'm in since being off of the medication.  I didn't feel "silly" walking into their home halfway through dinner...instead I got a warm welcome from them and all the kiddies...and of course their jolly dog.  Thank goodness for patient family and friends.

Then this past weekend we had a belated Christmas with my brother and sister-in-law.  It's a time of year my family loves.  Nothing beats an elongated Christmas!  We bring out the mini-tree at my mom and dad's home, and I play Santa.  My daughter is Santa's helper.  The first night together we enjoyed a delicious dinner of turkey and quinoa meatloaf, roasted potatoes, asparagus and the "piece de resistance"...a can of tomato soup mixed with canned peas.  I know.  But this is a famous recipe in my family.  My Granny made it with her meat pie, and now meatloaf or meat pie is boring without it.  I almost drool at the thought...

Our second dinner together was...Butter Chicken!  My mom used the same recipe as my neighbour but made a few small modifications.  It was a delicious meal served over rice with carrots on the side.  My daughter inhaled it both times, so we decided it was a perfect meal for this week.  However, using some fresh veggies I had stored in the fridge...and not having all the spices needed (or the chicken)...I came up with my own variation of Butter Chicken.  Make sure to Google "Canadian Living Butter Chicken Slow Cooker" for the original recipe - which is DELICIOUS!!!

And here is Sarah's version:

Butter...Eggs (enough for at least 6-8 people)

8 vine tomatoes, skinned and crushed
2 large red onions, chopped
3 bell peppers, chopped
1 small package of cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 cup Organic Vegetable Broth
1/4 cup Almond Butter
3-4 T Butter
3-4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 T ginger (I only had powder in the house)
2 T Curry Powder
2 T Indian Masala Spices
1/2 t cinnamon
2 T brown sugar
1 t cumin
2 t chili powder
1 cup Greek Plain Yogurt
salt and pepper to taste
8 Eggs, scrambled till well done

I first started by cooking the chopped red onion in the butter, adding the crushed garlic soon after.  Once soft, I added the mushrooms, followed by the peppers.  I then cooked and peeled my tomatoes and put them in a cold bath before peeling.  I crushed the tomatoes by hand into the pot with the onion mix.  I then added all the spices and sugar and let it simmer for a few minutes.  In a separate dish I mixed the broth and almond butter till smooth and added it to the pot.  Once it simmers for a bit, I then blended it using a hand held mixer.  Once blended I added the Greek Yogurt. 

In a separate pan, I scrambled the eggs till well done.  We very rarely buy meat (although we still do enjoy it), so my husband suggested eggs as I had put it in my stir fry last week and it was a huge hit.  I added the cooked eggs to the mix and stirred.  Let it simmer a bit and add desired amount of salt and pepper after a quick taste test!

I served the Butter "Eggs" over brown basmati rice.  It was a huge hit - really delicious.  The bell peppers added a sweetness to it that the original recipe did not have. 

The only problem?  I forgot to take photos!  I will try to remember to take one with our leftovers tomorrow night and then add it later.  BIG oops!  This was a great dish that was healthy and a definite winner in our home.  Of course you could use chicken if you prefer it.  Eggs aren't for everyone. 

So which came first...the chicken or the egg???


No comments:

Post a Comment