Saturday, 21 January 2012

Cake Time!

My daughter had a friend over to play this evening.  Out came the pink tub and with some warm water, and a pool was made for Barbies.  The girls giggled and played for quite some time until they decided to curl on the couch together and watch a movie.  Their choice?  How to Eat Fried Worms.  Somehow, this movie made them hungry, so snack time it was.  Well dessert/snack time.  I looked at my daughter and asked, "cake in a mug?".  BIG eyes and a BIGGER smile told me her answer.  I asked her friend, "do you like chocolate cake?".  In which she laughed at me as if to say, "um, who DOESN'T like chocolate cake?".  So cake in a mug it was.

I found a recipe for this treat a week ago and made it for the first time last night.  A hit it was!  My daughter enjoyed it MORE than her favourite treat:  Molten Lava Cake.  Which is 100% awesome because it is so much better for her than the pre made, frozen cake I buy once in a blue moon for her.

I've revised the recipe slightly - to our liking.  So here it is!  I hope you enjoy.  In moderation, it's a great treat that isn't nearly as bad for you as most (well, ALL) store bought desserts. 

Cake in a Mug:

1 banana
1 egg
1 t of liquid sweetener - I used organic brown rice syrup
1.5-2 T of almond butter
2 heaping T of cocoa

Filling of choice:  dried berries, chocolate chips, walnuts...

Mash banana in a bowl until smooth (I used a fork).  Add egg and mix well.  Then add your liquid sweetener and almond butter. Mix again.  Then add cocoa - careful mixing...the cocoa flies around.  Then add your filling and give it one final good stir.  I used semi-sweet chocolate chips as our filling of choice.  All 3 of  us LOVE chocolate.

Lightly spray the inside of a mug (the larger the mug the better) with some oil.  Make sure when you pour the batter in the mug, that it doesn't fill past 2/3 of the mug.  If you are using small mugs, fill 2.  Cook in the microwave for 2 - 2 1/2 minutes.  Et voila!  I placed it on a plate and it came out perfectly. 

Two smiling faces later, the cake was devoured.  One mug easily fills 2-3 bellies.  It's dense and more filling than it looks...but delicious!


 The Ingredients
 The wet ingredients
 The wet ingredients, mixed
 Poured in a mug...ready to be "baked"
 Ready!
 Comes out perfectly
Ready for eating...yum!

1 comment: