Monday, 23 January 2012

Breakfast For Dinner...

Day two of a busy long weekend.  My daughter once again had her buddy over for some play time.  The Barbies came out again.  The giggles filled the house and all and all it was a perfect day at home.  I finished painting my daughter's room that day around 1pm.  I had a long hot shower (the water can never be hot enough since withdrawal as I am ALWAYS shivering).  I was happy to be finished her room - especially since having such a run of horrible side effects.  I was beginning - truly - to think I was just going slightly insane and I'd be sick for life.  It was a boost to my confidence with this recovery process that perhaps I really WAS going to get better over time...it was just going to take an incredible amount of patience.

Five o'clock rolled around and I had a craving.  On a side note...my daughter was home sick with a bad cough last week on the Monday, and she requested homemade pancakes.  I had JUST found a new recipe through the "Post Punk Kitchen" website which focuses on vegan cooking.  The recipe was called "Puffy Pillow Pancakes".  I made them that day and they were SO good.  By far the best pancake I had ever made.  So it was pancake time again, and we had pancakes and cut up strawberries for dinner.  Yum!  Make sure to "Google" the website where you can find their recipe (as well as many others).  But in the meantime, here is the recipe with my modifications. 

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar (I use organic cane sugar)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1 cup almond milk (or milk of your choice)
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

In a large mixing bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and sugar. Make a well in the center.
Pour milk into a separate bowl. Add vinegar and ground flax seeds, and use a fork to mix the ingredients until foamy. This will take about one minute.Pour the milk mixture into the centre of the dry ingredients. Add the water, canola oil and vanilla and use a fork to mix until a thick batter forms.  Do not over mix. 
Preheat the pan over medium-low heat and let the batter rest for 10 minutes....this part is important!
I sprayed the pan lightly w/ olive oil spray.  Using a 1/3 measuring cup will give you the perfect sized pancake.  You will need to cook these for about 3-4 minutes per side - they do take longer than your average pancake as they are so thick and fluffy!

Keep warm in the oven or let them cool on a plate.  My daughter enjoys them with just a bit of butter (or in our case, vegan margarine).  My husband and I used pure maple syrup (the GOOD stuff...no "Aunt Jemima").   My parents came by today and I cooked them up once again.  And it was a major hit with both of them as well.  Somehow my daughter managed to eat 3 of these "fluffy pillows" the first time she ate them.  I have yet to be able to eat more than 2 at once.  Well done, daughter.

 The Ingredients
 Batter ready to be cooked
 A cooked pancake looks on
 I doubled the recipe to make enough for the 4 of us...plus leftovers
Dipped in maple syrup with our green tea waiting to be sipped.  
A perfect combination.
Yum. 


No comments:

Post a Comment