Thursday, 22 December 2011

Treating My Cold...Naturally

Christmas time has arrived.  So has a sinus cold!  My daughter and I both are sniffling away.  So how do I choose to treat our colds without dipping into the "Tylenols and Advils" so easily available at the local drug store?

Garlic:  Although hard on my stomach, my daughter has no problem with it.  Once a day, I crush 1 raw clove of garlic into her food (added AFTER food is cooked, as you want the garlic in its rawest form).  Yes, it's spicy, but she enjoys it and never really complains.  I take it in a capsule form since the raw garlic can upset my stomach. 

Neti Pot:  This is my new favourite weapon.  Whether its a cold or allergies, the Neti Pot can work wonders.  It does feel a bit funny the first time, but once you get comfortable with the sensation it's easy to use and SO worth it!



Honey and Cinnamon:  The perfect combination.  Honey and Cinnamon, when combined, can help allergies, colds, arthritis, bladder infections, heart disease and more!  I take about 2 tablespoons of honey with 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon, mix well and spread it on my Rye toast.  You can also add it to hot water for a tea or take it like medicine followed with a glass of water.  These 2 ingredients combined have proven to help sore throats and sinus colds.



Ginger Tea:  I make this every 2 days to also help the nausea I have some days since coming off of the Benzodiazepines.  Ginger tea not only helps a cold, but also alleviates arthritic pain, controls dizziness and aides in healthy digestion.  Ginger is quite high in Vitamins C and E, as well as potassium.

 My homemade Ginger Tea, simmering and almost ready to drink

Vitamin C:  I take an extra C a day

Water:  And LOTS of it!  I don't like cold water, so first thing in the morning I take my LARGE blue glass out of the cupboard and fill it to the top with filtered cold water.  I then leave it out to become room temperature. 

Now, do I promise to be better tomorrow?  No.  But since treating my colds naturally, I have not once ended up on an antibiotic.  Antibiotics can wreak havoc on our immune system and not only kill the bad but the GOOD bacteria in our body, making us more susceptible to other bugs.  This can create long-term gastrointestinal problems for many.  The overuse of antibiotics has also created "Super Bugs", in which microorganisms are now able to resist the antibiotics. 

I thoroughly enjoy finding new ways to combat the common cold.  Combating a cold naturally does not mean a lengthy virus that takes weeks to fight.  If anything my colds are shorter-lived since using natural remedies.  Plus, I don't feel the ill effects of over-the-counter medication and/or antibiotics!  No drowsiness or queasy stomach.  Plus, there are delicious ways to do it!  Garlic, Honey, Cinnamon and Ginger...YUM!



No comments:

Post a Comment