Tuesday, 13 December 2011

Recipe Of The Day

Bread.  Buns.  Pasta.  I could NEVER go "carb free".  I love it all.  I have been looking for some savoury treats to bake Christmas morning, and I think I have finally found one!  I found a recipe online for homemade baked rolls, and modified it considerably to my liking...and here is the final product:

Baked Whole Wheat Biscuits

1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 cup Wheat Germ
1 t Organic Cane Sugar
3/4 t sea salt
4 t baking powder
1/4 cup Grapeseed Oil
1 cup buttermilk (I used Almond Milk w/ 1t Apple Cider Vinegar added till it begins to curdle)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Mix flour, wheat germ, cane sugar, sea salt and baking powder together.  Make a well in the centre.  Add oil and buttermilk and with a spoon, mix well (but not over mix). 

On parchment paper lined baking sheets, spoon heaping tablespoon full mounds of batter onto tray (about the size of a plum).  Some biscuits are rolled out and cut with a cookie cutter, but this recipe is easy and you can just drop them on the trays.

Now, I kept 1/2 of the batter separate.  I prefer the plain biscuits as I stay away from too much spice lately, but to the 2nd half of the batter, I added 1 clove of fresh garlic, crushed...as well as some Clubhouse Pepper Medley (a staple in our home for flavouring food) and some shredded cheese.  I mixed the ingredients into the batter and dropped them onto the 2nd tray.  Now my husband and daughter can have a tasty treat with their soup...Cheesy, Garlic Biscuits...that aren't overly cheesy or too rich, and the garlic is a healthy addition!

Now, the original recipe called to bake for 12 minutes...this is far too long for my oven.  I checked them at 8 minutes, but they needed 9-10 minutes at the MOST.

Let them cool and then enjoy...they won't last long!

There are so many variations to this recipe.  So cater it to your family's liking.  Possible additions?

Dried Cranberries, Raisins, Dried Apricots, Chocolate Chips, Walnuts or other nuts of choice, Olives, Chopped Jalapeno Peppers, Shredded Cheese, Cubed Cheese, Cubed Ham, Cubed Apple, Blueberries...the possibilities are endless!

Baking made fun...and a great way to include your children in a tasty treat.  Give them each a small portion of the batter to create their own masterpiece.  My daughter and husband LOVED these biscuits, and they'll definitely be a part of our Christmas morning breakfast.

Enjoy!

Homemade Whole Wheat Biscuits (Cheesy ones on the left)

No comments:

Post a Comment