Wednesday, 2 November 2011

Nutrition "Tip Of The Day"

Over this past year, I have taken the time to research foods that I believe are best for my mind and body, as well as for my family.  Nothing brings me more pleasure then baking a batch of homemade muffins and cookies for my daughter's lunch at school instead of a prepackaged granola bar or cake.  I now know what is in her "treat" each day because I make it.  I have also learned how to modify recipes so that I can add healthy fats, reduce sugar and increase fibre.  Here is a recipe I use when baking Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins:

  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
  • 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Now, here is how I modify it for our family:

  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 cup wheat germ
  • 0 sugar...that's right, NO sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
  • 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
The natural sweetness of the applesauce and bananas as well as the added sweetness from the chocolate chips makes them plenty sweet enough for us.  The heaviness of the whole wheat flour and wheat germ makes them more filling. 

A neighbour's son was over the yesterday and my daughter asked if they could each have a freshly baked muffin.  As he bit into the warm Banana Chocolate Chip Muffin, he said to me with a mouthful of muffin, "you always make the best muffins"...and that was with ZERO sugar!  It made me so happy and I thanked him for the nice compliment. 




No comments:

Post a Comment